Summer is approaching. There is nothing more appealing than to sit back and relax, soak up the sun and quench the thirst with a refreshing drink. When comes to creating a delicious cocktail, I want a drink there will bring me to the tropical Bali, a concoction that is filled with scent and flavours of tropical herbs and spices that stimulate all my senses. Hence, this Ginger Lemongrass Mule was born.
Here is a collaboration between A Table For Two x SodaStream where I got to let my imagination run wild, experiment with lots of ingredients and had a lot of fun making carbonated drinks. This is my first time using a SodaStream system and it is actually a lot easier to use than I thought. All I had to do was to insert the CO2 gas cylinder inside, turn the power on, fill the bottle with tap water then fit it to the front, press a button and voila! I had sparkling water in seconds.
I can’t wait until the holiday season this Summer and I can already see myself making lots of refreshing drinks using the SodaStream machine. It’s convenient for summer entertaining, especially when you have friends around for a BBQ or dinner party. Imagine having an endless supply of sparkling water from just one bottle and not having to buy lots of big plastic bottles from supermarket that take up all the space in the fridge.
As I’ve done with this recipe, you can personalise to make as simple or as fancy a drink as you like. The easiest will be a to-go thirst quencher simply by carbonating chilled tap water using SodaStream then just add few slices of lime or lemon and few sprigs of mint leaves. If you want to make flavoured carbonated drinks, then the best way is to either get the SodaStream Waters mix, or like me, make your own cordial syrup. Making your own syrup is actually a lot easier than you think, and this recipe is to make a Ginger Mule cocktail which has vodka in the drink, but of course you can just omit it and make a kid friendly refreshing ginger drink. Get the recipe at the bottom of this post.
I had lots of fun creating the video for this collaboration. Please make sure to put your headphones on when you watch the video and enjoy!
- Ginger Lemongrass Syrup
- 300g ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 lemongrass, white part only, thinly sliced, keep the green part for garnish
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ounce ginger lemongrass syrup
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 sprig of mint
- Ice cubes
- SodaStream sparkling water
- Carbonate chilled water using SodaStream according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- To make the syrup, add ginger, lemongrass, sugar, water in a medium pot and bring to a boil on high heat. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 30 minutes, until the syrup is thick. Do not over reduce it. Strain the syrup into a heatproof jug, keep the ginger to make candied ginger.
- To make the cocktail, add the syrup and vodka in a mason jar or a 12oz tumbler glass, add ice cubes then fill to top with carbonated water. Add lemon slices and sprig of mint, stir well using a lemon grass stalk.