“If you could do one thing, anything at all, what would it be?”
One thing that I have always wanted to do but never get the chance to do is to set off on an adventure in a campervan across the countryside to see the real Australia. I love the idea of carefree travelling, blue sky and open road, just a GPS and keep driving. I will venture off the beaten track, mingle with locals, share a beer or two at the local pubs. When I am hungry, I will pick up some local produce and cook myself a meal on the portable stove. When I am tired, I will just park the car somewhere, anywhere for the night. Along the journey, I would also like to give back to the community, doing charity work and help the needy. At the very least I could feed the homeless some hot soup and bread from my campervan to beat the freezing winter nights. Yep, that’s exactly what I told Optus when they asked me this same question. Guess what, they liked my crazy idea and agreed to make it happen for me, start from next week! It was totally a big ‘YES’ moment for me.
So for the next 8 days, I will embark on an epic road trip in a campervan from the coast all the way to the outback. Apart from exploring, cooking and eating, I will also be live blogging during the trip to share my journey in real time as possible. I have never done it before but I am up for a good challenge and I can’t wait to share this adventure with you all.
Where to go
If you are curious where the road trip will take me, here is the map of my journey including the towns I will be hitting. I have listed all the towns I will be visiting below. If you have any suggestions what I should see, do, try, taste, anything at all that I shouldn’t miss out, please feel free to leave a comment below. You can even set me a dare or challenge (nothing to crazy, I hope) and I will try to accomplish it.
- Phillip Island
- Great Ocean Road
- Grampians national park
- Adelaide Hills
- Clare Valley
- Broken Hill
What to bring
Since the campervan will be my home base for the next few nights and with very limited space inside, so I am planning to travel light on this road trip. I will only carry my backpack with all my tech gears for the live blogging while on the road. I hope these gears will keep me stay connected:
- Apple Macbook – will be blogging whenever I have down time at night and also Skype home if the data connection is good.
- iPhone – I will stay connected on the Optus network, testing out its 4G network in the regional areas. I am aiming to post lots of photos on Instagram!
- Canon 5D mk III – can’t leave home without a camera. I am looking forward to meet a few local producers, do some video filming and find out more about their produce.
- Olympus E-M10 – my little trusty compact mirrorless camera. I normally use this camera to transfer photos to my phone via WiFi and upload to Instagram. Super handy.
- Tripod – this heavy bugger is coming along with me as well, hopefully I have time to do some night time star trail time-lapse in the outback
- External HDD – Back up, back up, back up! I am sure I will be taking lots of photos and videos and definitely need the external hard drive to store them.
Last but not least,
- Cooking utensils – Yep, I am bringing my own knife, whisk and cook up a storm! Stay tune, there will be cooking videos on YouTube.
What to do
So here I am, living my Yes moment, packing my bag and ready to hit the road! Again, if you have any suggestions, must sees and dos, please hit me up and comment below! Make sure you subscribe to my Facebook page and YouTube channel to catch all the action:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/iambillylaw
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/figuromo
Instagram – https://instagram.com/billy.law/
For all behind-the-scene foodage & bloopers, go and subscribe to snapchat – @billylawatft