More irresistable palm sugar sweetness! I saw the recipe on Food Safari, is so simple to make, who would say no to dessert anyway?! Gula Melaka (Palm sugar) is seriously addictive, the best thing to make this kind of dessert at home instead of buying from hawker stalls is you can put as much gula melaka syrup as you want! Have to say I felt sick afterwards because I was sugar-overload!
Read further on how to make Sago Pudding.
- 300g sago
- 200g palm sugar, cut in small cubes
- 1 egg white
- 5 tbsp white sugar
- 1 can coconut milk
- A banana, peeled, sliced diagonally
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to boil. While boiling, add sago and start stirring continuously to avoid them from sticking in lumps. When the sago is half transparent with a tiny white dot in middle, it is cooked. Strain and rinse with cold water couple of times to get rid of the starch, then you will see the sago is now fully transparent.
- Beat an egg white in a bowl until soft peaks form. Add sago, fold and stir to combine. Then pour into a smaller serving bowl, or a muffin cake mould. Put in the fridge to let it set and chill for an hour.
- Now, in a saucepan, add half cup water and palm sugar, stir under medium heat until dissolved. Stir in white sugar, until dissolved. Pour into bowl, let it cool down, the syrup is ready. If the syrup is too thick, sugar crystal will formed on the surface. Then add some hot water and stir through to thin it down.
- To serve, turn the sago onto a serving plate, top with a few spoonful of coconut cream, and the palm sugar syrup. The ratio of the coconut cream and palm sugar syrup on the pudding should be 2:1. But of course, it should be added according to personal taste.
- Add a few pieces of banana to make it even more tasty.
This dessert definitely not for the faint-hearted. The palm sugar syrup can be sickening sweet if put too much in the pudding. Best to consume in small one serving, the sago has its own life and will start to grow and expand in size in your tummy. You’ve been warned! ^_^
670 total views, 5 views today